New River Community Action’s SwiftStart program helps working parents in the New River Valley secure higher-wage jobs by providing skill development and acquire affordable, quality childcare.
Designed with a “whole family” approach, SwiftStart offers education and job training services to parents, helping them pursue or advance in middle–to high-skilled, full-time employment while assisting with quality education and care for their children.
SwiftStart will help pay for quality child care over the short term while parents earn credentials through various training programs that can help them land a good job – the type of job that will make it easier for them to pay for childcare.
The U.S. Department of Labor grant for SwiftStart will offer:
- Career pathway development in three distinct middle- and high-skilled fields:
healthcare, advanced manufacturing, and information technology
- Career coaching
- In-demand credentials that can be obtained in 2 to 18 months
- Quality childcare while attending training/classes
- Job placement assistance
- Ongoing support from career mentors and other participants.
To be eligible for SwiftStart parents must meet the following criteria:
- age 17 or older with a high school diploma or GED;
- eligible to work in the U.S.;
- a custodial parent, legal guardian, or foster parent of at least one dependent that is 13 or younger (dependents with a disability or developmental delay may exceed 13 years of age);
- demonstrate aptitude and ability for a career in one of the targeted career tracks.
The project is a partnership between many organizations including New River, Community Action, TAP, the Western Virginia Workforce Development Board, the New River/Mount Rogers Workforce Investment Board, Virginia Tech, area education and training providers, and many of the region’s leading employers.
The program is currently seeking participants throughout the New River Valley, as well as business partners to provide employment opportunities.
For more information, call a SwiftStart Career Mentor at 540-633-5133 Ext 453 or email firstname.lastname@example.org